Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent. What is your sacrifice?

Today marks the first day of Lent.

I'd hate to begin my first entry of my new blog on such a serious note but it is Ash Wednesday - the start of the season of Lent where we search our souls, take the time to reflect and make sacrifices to remember His sacrifice. I consider myself a spiritual person - I've never liked to say I'm religious because it sounds so constrained. So I begin my first blog entry on what I've decided to give up for Lent - normally it's meat but this time, I've decided to take stock of my finances and give up shopping for the next 46 days.

I realise this might come across as frivolous but this is going to be a challenge, at least for me. I've become too comfortable knowing I can whip out my credit card and charge it to almost whatever my heart desires. This Lent, I'm going to attempt to practice abstinence from what I love - the act of shopping. I've drawn my boundaries for this challenge, which consist of the following:

I cannot purchase anything I don't need (ie. nothing frivolous or required for daily living) this includes cosmetics, beauty products, home furnishings/decor, books etc and of course, no new clothes, shoes, accessories and no excuses.

And for those of you who have been following me on Bite My Big Apple - you may ask, why the change? I've felt I needed a blank slate to share my thoughts - I felt that my previous blog was representative of my life as student in a new city, with a new-found independence. Now, almost 3 years later - I feel like I'm at a new phase of my life. I'm back in the workforce with a new-found ambition to better myself and succeed what I do best. 

So come along for the ride and dive into my world and see how I manage the next 46 days without a shopping bag in sight. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment